Monday, February 25, 2008

A Brief Update

I know it has been a significant amount of time since I have written on the site. Well, to be honest my first year in Maine has been quite interesting, but I have still yet to overcome the paralyzing effects of the harsh winters. This, of course, is not to be confused with a struggle, but rather with a lack of motivation to tackle the outdoors during my first winter this far North. Instead I have been getting a feel for the season, so I can know what to expect next year. In the mean time, as the months of 2008 progress, it almost being the third of which, I have began to consider the excitements of the warmer season. Once the predicted snowfall of April clears, hopefully providing me with enough good weather for some interesting hikes, I intend to get as much outdoor experience as possible before returning to New York for the summer. I intend to summit a local mountain, organize a camping trip, and make another trip across Lake Winnecook before the end of May.

In the mean time, as I wait for the second half of the season to end, I have discovered a new way to keep you all updated and educated. I have recently joined a Primitive Skills Club, and will be documenting some of the activities and experiences on the site. Subsequently, I hope to regain the regular attendance of my audience, while providing you all with survival techniques, and fun activities for the outdoors.

I intend on describing the following lessons to you, and encourage you to participate and attempt these at home if possible:
  • How to make a alcohol stove burner from a can
  • How to hand drill and bow drill
  • Emergency fire starting techniques
  • Basic ice climbing techniques
Along with the lessons, which I intend on beginning soon, I will also do a brief gear review. Check the site soon for more updates, and hopefully I will have the instructional articles completed and some dates prepared for the first outdoor activities of the season.

No comments: